Thursday, 29 January 2015

Early morning double

My last session was again on the wonderful Wye, I arrived just before dawn with a plan of fishing as the first rays of light for the day were popping over the horizon, the river levels showed that a pulse of water had raised the level on the Saturday, I hope that it had peaked and started to drop for my Sunday session.
My first view of the swim initially gave me a dour response as there was more water pushing through that I would have liked but it was still fishable so he who dares Rodney.....

I had a dozen casts using the lure rod first but without any signs so as the lure rod was put up the bank a float-pat Sardine was dropped into the nearside slack. I had only been sat on the mat a minute and was trying to extract the flask from the rucksack when the baitrunner fizzed off, who was I to think the conditions weren't right! After a scrap that was in the flow for the majority of it a decent Pike was in the bag, first of the day within a couple of minutes and she registered 14lb 4oz on the scales.


A good start and the bait was back out in the slack again, guts hanging out from the first fish but that would do more good than harm in my mind.....
Another twenty minutes and there were signs on the bung that I had another interested customer, I struck into the fish and again a fight in the flow was soon over and the second fish was in the bag, this time a smaller sample of 11lb 9oz, a decent enough start to the session. Another hour in the peg and I decided on a move upstream to another stretch.

Snowdrops were starting to show on the riverbank, probably covered with snow now as I type this!



I had a further two hours upstream in a couple of likely looking slacks but no further takers for the rest of the session but I was happy enough with the days results. I was hoping to be on the river again this weekend but at the minute that isn't looking likely.......

1 comment: