Sunday, 14 December 2014

It's been a long time

Yes it has, my blogging has fallen by the wayside for some months now, I have no specific reason, I have still been wetting a line as often as I can for my usual variety of species so hopefully this will get me back into the blogging groove once again..........

My summer fishing mainly revolved around the Warks Avon, float fishing mostly for anything that came along, I fished the Wye a couple of times also but to be honest the canoes are manic and the autumn into winter are and have been much better as I will get to later.

The winter plan always revolves around predators, Pike & Perch being the main species but as I live in Coventry the Zander should really be on my radar more than they have been. I had a Perch fishery where I was going to spend a lot of the winter as it was local, unfortunately that water is now closed as per this blog by Mick Newey - http://calamitymn.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/warwick-racecourse-reservoir-now-closed.html so a new water will have to be found, I have a couple on the shortlist so hopefully I will be letting you know how I fare.

Josh has finally won Sky Sports Tight Lines 'Young Angler Of The Month' award with a Barbel he caught during our trip up to the River Ribble in late November, he will now be fishing with the stars of the Angling world on Barston Lakes in August, I am so very proud of him.


I have added a new outfit to my fishing armoury, a jerkbait set up, I don't fish for Pike using lures enough and it is a very mobile method meaning that on a new stretch of river you can kill two birds with one stone as you get to see the all of the river whilst fishing it, an ABU Ambassadeur multiplier has been mounted to a Savage Gear rod and a few large lures purchased, lets hope that the big croc's follow!



As mentioned earlier I have fished the Wye quite a lot over the past couple of months, Pike have always been the primary target but more often than not I have found myself on a river that has warm coloured water flowing through it's veins so the Pike have not flowed as planned, the Barbel have though. I have had a good average size of fish this year with eight fish of 9lb+ topped by a 10lb 13oz fish which for the Wye isn't bad and managed to top my previous PB for the Wye by 2oz. I also had a Chub over 5lb a couple of weeks ago which topped the river PB by just 1oz.

10.13 Barb

 
5.03 Chevin

 The Wye is such a gorgeous place

A single session to the River Severn earlier this year brought a fantastic looking Barbel, again the fish in this river are gaining weight and the average weight is on the rise, I sincerely hope that there are some younger fish coming through the ranks or else we will be thin on the ground with Barb's in the future.

 


Anyway, the Christmas break is almost here, I have a date with the Wye once again before that and I hope to get out over the break a couple of times, maybe even after Grayling on the River Dove.

No comments:

Post a Comment