Sunday, 2 February 2014

Spring Perch

It seems that spring has sprung, January passed with me only wetting a line once and that was a fruitless session on a local canal with just a crayfish to show for my efforts.
Lambs are in the fields as well as most river's, it has been wet but no cold frozen frosty winter's that we are used to, my first winter Grayling trip is still to happen and may not the way things are going.


I ventured onto a new water today, I have recce'd the place a couple of times but after another look last weekend I decided on trying to catch it's Perch inhabitants today, I arrived at 8am and there were already another couple of anglers there fishing in my first choice swim, I headed to my second choice swim at the other end of the pool. The reason for my swim choice was the thing that Perch love and the anglers trying to catch them look for (and also love)  cover.........a tree has started its decent into the pool and had created a canopy for old stripey to reside under, well that's what I thought anyway!


Float fished lobworm was the main attack but I had a drop shot rig in my armoury as back up as well as a rod for livebait if I decided to set a whip up to catch some. The swim was tight due to branches sprouting out above, behind and to my left, after settling in the first cast went into the tree that I was hoping was holding some Perch, damn it said I but luckily after a couple of pulls (on the rod) the tackle was back with me minus the size 8. A minute later I was ready again but this time the cast was well and truly in the tree, damn it said I again (not) and this time I lost the lot but later retrieved, great start. The casts didn't feel right (bad workman blames his tools and all that) but when I checked the tip ring I had threaded the line through the guide leg rather than the guide............numpty.
So with the rod set up correctly I was once again ready for action, this time the cast was sweet and I was off away. I slowly built the swim up with chopped lobs and pinkies, for half an hour nothing took place but eventually I had my first typical stuttering Perch bite that resulted in a fish about 12oz.  Bites then came fairly steadily but as always I am always casting or twitching the bait when fishing for Perch, this has always worked for me in the past and the amount of times a bite occurs after either casting or twitching keeps me doing it. The fish gradually got larger too and a 1.14 was followed by a 2.02 which was then trumped by its bigger sister at 2.14 and by 1PM I had 7 fish on the board.

2.14 Perch




The afternoon passed fairly uneventfully and although I had a couple of bites towards dusk I missed them all with the worm coming back to me every time, they had obviously gone off the boil. Not bad for my first crack at the water, I will definitely be back for another go, hopefully before the Perch spawn which I don't think is far away this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment