Sunday, 15 September 2013

Not a lot to tell

I have found it quite frustrating on the Barbel front this season, fishing sessions across several rivers since June 16th and I haven't really found my groove where Barbus Barbus is concerned, yes we have had a few months without any real rainfall so low and clear rivers have been the mainstay but even a few sessions into dark have not yielded better results on a consistent basis.
My last three sessions out have been on the Warks Avon (x2) and the middle Severn.
The first Warks Avon outing was begun on the float with the usual hemp & caster combo, plenty of silver fish came my way and as usual a nice Pike grabbed one of the hooked Dace and led me a merry dance around the swim, I am quite looking forward to the pred fishing this winter on this stretch! As the float fishing came to an end (I usually fish a Barbel rod and hour before & after dusk on this stretch) I hooked the proverbial Barbus, it stayed deep and unmoving before swimming powerfully past me upstream, it then buried its head into a sunken reed bed before the 3.6lb hooklink snapped, the air turned blue.......I stayed put in that swim thinking I was in the right spot but the following 2 hours on Barbel gear resulted in just a solitary Chub.

The second session was with Josh and a mid-week quick fire job, we this time headed upstream with a lure rod in hand, I was using a drop shot rig and Josh was on a rubber 'thingy', he definitely has a thing for lures and lure fishing and his collection is getting as large as my own.......
Anyway it wasn't long before I hooked into a Perch about a pound, not a huge fish but I was happy that the method had given me a fish first time out.


Two sets of lost gear and a rain shower had us heading for the car but we had enjoyed it.

Yesterday saw me heading to the middle Severn, I didn't arrive until 6PM and the intention was to fish until midnight. Barbel were the quarry 100% this time and 2 rods were deployed, the upstream on a feeder and the downstream rod a lead/PVA bag.


 I was fishing by 6.45 and on dusk a few fish were moving giving me high hopes, they were to be false as by 11.30PM I was packing up without any signs of a fish.

I think the Barbel fishing will be put on the back burner until we get some decent rainfall, Perch maybe next on my list......

No comments:

Post a Comment