Sunday, 7 April 2013

A cool cut Perch

As most of you will know the weather hasn't been too kind to us anglers of late, I finished the river season fishing a cold Severn that was holding onto it's scaley piscatorial inhabitants with a pretty tightly clenched fist.
So the rivers were shut, I gave it a week before I even went through my gear from that last mud encrusted blank and it was the Tench that were the species I was was gearing up to hit next, the weather had other ideas though and for the last four weeks the Tench gear has collected dust in my garage.....
Usually I would be out fishing throughout whatever the big man upstairs throws at us  weather wise but these last few weeks have been different,  constant biting easterlies mixed with snow, sleet and whatever else feels the need to hit us, my enthusiasm was at an all time low.....
This low was kicked into touch in the strangest of places, my hairdressers! My hairdresser fishes and whilst we chewed our usual piscatorial fat he dropped a sentence with the words containing 'New water with Big Perch'. I immediately checked the fishery details as he continued to cut my barnet and was already planning tomorrow's session with renewed optimism, within the hour I had been to the tackle shop for some maggots and the gear was in the garage ready to go at first light.

I arrived at the fishery at about 6.45am and I was greeted with a bitter NE wind, the fact that the fishery was quite exposed didn't help matters so it was on with the layers before I wandered round the pool to see what I fancied. I chose to fish the peg with two float rods, one close in next to the marginal reeds into 4 foot of water and the second further out in deeper water at around 8 feet, lobworm and prawn were the bait with red maggot to spray over the top. I was fishing by about 7am and the day was passing fairly uneventfully when at 12.30 I had a sharp dip on the prawn rod on the inside but that was it, a solitary dip. I knew that I had to be off by 2.15 as the kids were going away for the week and I wanted to see them off so time was running out.......
I stepped up the maggot feed a touch, less maggot but more often to try and keep a steady stream of bait dropping through the water, chopped prawns and lob's were also stepped up and I started to twitch the lob rod on a regular basis and I think Perch cannot resist a lob that they think is escaping them!
Then at 1.15 the lob rod float dipped ever so slightly, to the untrained eye nothing happened but I knew it had dipped, it then dipped again but this time it wasn't stopping so the first strike of the day was made and a good fish was felt pulling back. At first I thought I had hooked one of the semi-dormant Carp that inhabit the lake as the fish's initial run was quite strong but then I felt the odd tell tale head shake transmitting back up the line and through the curved carbon rod I was holding that made me think Perch, I then saw the fish for the first time boil just beneath the surface and a Perch it was and a good one too, where is that bloody net! The strong side wind made netting the fish not quite as perfect as I would have liked but in she went and straight away I knew that she was a good 3lb fish, a hen fish as the pictures clearly show. The hook was well back in the fishes mouth but dropped out as soon as the forceps touched it and onto the scales she went, 3lb 9oz and a great fish and not bad for a first visit to the fishery.




The rod was cast straight back to the spot to try and nail another shoal member but that was the last action of the day for me, not that I am complaining!







2 comments:

  1. Nice perch Danny. The pool looks familiar but can't seem to place it. Getting too old I think.
    How's the Plough doing fish wise these days?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Plough wasn't great last season but hopefully I will spot some fish during the close season period.

    ReplyDelete