Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Cold water Pike

With a Friday booked off work the weeks heading up to the date my head was full of river Pike, the Severn and Wye were the planned locations to fish for the large croc's that I know inhabit the available stretches open to me. The weather however had other plans and the week preceeding the day in question was very wet indeed so the rivers were high, coloured and cold........good for absolutley nothing.
So a stillwater secondary option was planned with Pike still in mind and a dawn start was on the cards. With 6 hours of fishing in my pocket I decided to cover as much water as possible in an effort to drop a bait on the nose of a hungry croc, my own personal experience with both dead or live baiting for Pike is that takes invaribly come within 15 minutes of casting a bait into the water, this water I was fishing today ahd for me stuck to that rule 100% so the regular moving for me at least was a plan I was happy with.
I arrived at 6.45am with a heavy frost on the ground and 2 deg C showing on the car temp gauge, the sun yet to poke its weary head over the horizon and after slipping a few layers on me I got up onto the water to get the rods set up under the light from my head torch. Both rods were to be fish on float rigs with either sardine or makeral being the breakfast for the hoped toothy pred to chomp on. The first swim provided me with a twitchy float on the LH rod but nothing developed, I then moved up to the furthest point I intended to fish that day and then moved back towards the car park every 45 minutes. It was whilst I was in the third swim of the day I received a take on the LH rod close into the reedy margin and after striking resistance could be felt, a short Pikey scrap ensued and a fish hit the net that looked a double, it was in fact a near miss and went 9lb 11oz but welcome none the less.



I then continued to fish and cover as much water as I could for the remainder of the session but without any signs of any action. The sun was now up in a clear sky and the wind was none existant so that was my reason for the lack of activity for that day. Even now the rivers are still taking their time to expel all the extra water in them but hopefully they will be looking reasonabler for a session this weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. At least you got out there and had one Dan .....

    Baz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Baz, I think that if I had missed the first hour after dawn I would have missed my chance.....
    I had a quick look at the river this afternoon, awful !

    ReplyDelete