Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Reservoir Predators

The plan for the weekend was a river session on the Dove for Predators but rain on the Weds,Thurs and Fri put paid to that after other anglers I knew who fished the river were reporting high coloured water and large amounts of drifting weed.......plans had to be changed.
So the change had to be from running water to stillwater, a reservoir was chosen on a club card and by Sunday lunchtime we were on our way. The car park had 6 cars in it but luckily the anglers present were fairly spread out and the area I fancied was quiet so happy days, a couple of jack Pike were clearly evident in the margins so Josh hastily set his lure rod up and had a cast or three, they looked but didn't chase, seemingly lethargic and soaking up the (quite warm for the time of year) suns rays, never mind there is plenty of time yet.
A deadbait rod for the Pike was set up alongside a float leger as I fancied a crack at the Perch over the marginal shelf into 14ft of water. The Pike rod held a sardine 2 feet off bottom and the float rod was fishing a worm and red maggot cocktail with chopped worm balled in over the top along with red maggots sprayed every ten minutes. The day past uneventfully on the fishing front for the first couple of hours and I began to think that we should have visited a river after all but fished for Barbel instead of preds, no, the decision was made and we have the dusk period to look forward to ...............I then swapped out the size 12 hook for the dendro and re-tied on a size 8 for a juicy lobworm to be impaled onto, time for a big stripey says I!  Ten minutes after the lob was cast out I had a bite, and missed it, I then proceeded to have a bit a cast for the next 4 cast, I missed them all, what was I doing wrong?  The deadbait bung then bobbed once and sunk, I shouted Josh as I wanted him to have the run but as he picked the rod up the bung reappeared, he hovered over the rod for ten minutes without any further indication so the rod was reeled in, upon retrieving the bait it had a small hole in it's flank and its stomach was hanging out, no teeth marks at all, there are no crayfish known to be in this water so I suspect an eel as they are known to inhabit the water, truth is we will never know so a fresh bait was cast out with 'baited' breath......
It was on sitting back down to concentrate on the float rod when I actually hit a bite, after a brief scrap a Perch could be seen in the clear margins trying to gain it's freedom, I hastily netted the fish as I was aware that several sets of eyes with teeth could be watching proceedings and maybe getting ideas!  The fish was brilliantly marked with blood red fins and weighed in at 1lb 10oz, a nice start.

 
1lb 10oz Percius

 


I had just re-casted the float rod when the Pike bung sunk and didn't resurface so Josh was in! He wound down until he felt resistance then slowly but firmly pulled the hooks home, after a brief scrap a jack Pike of about 4lbs was in the net.

Josh with his snapper

This fish had fresh marks on the top and bottom of it's head where another larger Pike had obviously tried to nail it quite recently, a 4lb Pike is a bit big for a bait but a good sign that the larger Pike are there in this water.
 
Fresh wounds


After returning the Pike I was quickly in again on the float and this fish felt better than the last one, surely enough after a slightly harder scrap I saw a larger Perch fighting away in the clear margins, again I didn't mess about and got the fish into the net ASAP especially when I saw the hook just holding in the scissors! After netting the hook dropped out so there was my piece of luck for the day, on the scales she went 2lb 11oz.

2lb 11oz Percius
 
 

We fished on into the dusk period but no further bites were forthcoming, there were plenty of small fish dimpling the surface heading to dusk and some of them looked harassed so I suspect the Perch lifted from the bottom and started to hit the smaller fish on the surface, something I will think about on my next visit.

2 comments:

  1. They're nice clean looking stripeys Danny, and you've mastered the art of holding the fin up without squashing the rest of the body with your other hand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fishing.I’ve just started a new fishing blog (http://leepoultney.blogspot.co.uk/) and although it’s still in its infancy I was wondering if you could add it to your blog list and I’ll do likewise with your site. Many thanks, Lee

    ReplyDelete