Saturday, 1 September 2012

Eel challenge completed on the Wye

Josh and I took a trip back to the Wye again yesterday, on checking the EA web site throughout that week it showed the level had risen sharply late Weds/early Thurs then had started to drop again so I was confident of good conditions when we arrived mid afternoon Friday. Sure enough on arrival the river was about 2 foot up and chocolate, perfect! We initially looked at a spot further downstream than our last session but it was taken so we opted for the same area of the previous session, the peg that we fished last week was taken (this stretch never used to be this busy!) but the peg above looked great and was free so we were in. Two rods on the tripod would be used using either boilie/paste or double 12mm elips/paste on the hook with heavy feeders to deposit the mix of pellet and hemp with a plug of spicy red groundbait, the upstream rod had been in only 5 minutes when the tip buckled and after a nice scrap Barbel number 1 was in the bag, at 8lb 1oz it wasn't a bad start.

It was Josh' turn next when the D/S rod went over and after a short 'scrap' one of his outstanding challenge fish appeared on the surface, an EEL!  He was over the moon about the fact, I was less impressed as I was left to unhook the thing, never an easy task with smaller eel's maybe a bit easier with larger specimens? Anyway the boy was happy so it was handshakes all round.

The next fish to me was another snig, how I love the things (not) but at least they were not tackle wreckers, Josh was then into a Barbel and landed a nice fish of 7lb 7oz


He really does well when playing Barbel as they do pull back and at only 9 years old and being quite short they do beat him up a bit!

The next fish to me was a tackle wrecking eel (spoke to soon) that basically appeared on the surface after a lot of tapping on the tip in a ball of hooklink, feeder and a branch, what a mess and I had the cut the hooklink off the eel to release it, nightmare.......

The Barbel then continued to come at regular intervals throughout the afternoon/early evening with  us taking a bite each, Josh was unlucky by dropping a couple of fish in weed and one reached a snag but he was doing well with the resident Barb population giving him a right workout!

After dark the bites slowed down, I lost a fish around 9pm then took 2 in quick succession, Josh was taking a nap at this stage and he had just woken up when the tip dragged round again at 10.30 so he was in again, another Barb at 7lb 8oz.

We had one last cast at this stage (as you do) and it was whilst I waited for the final 3 foot twitch that I spotted something moving through the swim and moving a fair amount of water as it did so, a quick flick on of the head torch and an otter's eye reflected back at us, it stared briefly before submerging and leaving the scene.  Two minutes later the final bite was had and a Barb of about 7lb was landed by yours truly. The final tally was 8 barbel, 2 eels and a Chub to me and 4 Barbel and an eel to Josh, mission achieved on the eel front anyway, Dace and Gudgeon to go for him so I will work on that over the next few weeks.


1 comment:

  1. I reckon he runs rings around you Dan ha ha....

    Baz Peck