Monday, 5 December 2011

Time for a Pike, or two

As the weather was cooling a change of attack was brought out of the tackle box, as my previous couple of sessions had been for a Zed on the cut and Perch on the upper Avon (only small samples being banked) I continued with the preds and aimed for Pike on a reservoir that a club I was a member of had recently aqquired.
A call en route to a mate already on there told me that they seemed to be feeding as he had just landed a fish short of 10lbs, they reputedly run three times the size in there but a fish or two today would be a good start.
The reservoir is almost 40 acres so lots of water to go at, mobility would of been the name of the game today but as Josh was with me a move every 2 hours would do for a start.
The plan was to fish with deadbaits under a float, sardine being the bait of choice as I now had a good cheap supply of bait after I stumbled across the fact the local fishmonger is also a Pike angler, £4.30 for 15 nice sized baits will do the job!
First cast, a rod to the left hand margin and a rod to the right, it was the right hand rod that signaled a take only ten minutes after casting into 5 feet of water, a brief scrap and a fish of about 6lb was landed, unhooked and quickly released.
After another hour and a half in that spot without any signs of life a move around the rese was called for, a peg 200 yards around was slap bang in the middle of a large reed bad so again a bait was cast either side of the peg close into the reeds.  After 20 minutes the RH rod was away again, a bit more of a tussle this time and a larger fish could be seen figthing in the 6 foot deep margin, again into the net a quick unhook this time and up for the trophy shot.

This fish managed the spin of death whilst my hand was still slid up its gills and the inevitable slashed finger was the result, Josh loved the fact that the Pike had 'bitten' me but a lesson for me as my old garden glove had been left at home.......
That was it for the day but as there were 2 other anglers on that day who had blanked and my mate who landed one fish earlier on I wasn't complaining. I will be putting in a bit more time on here over this winter for the Pike and then changing species when the spring arrives......

No comments:

Post a Comment