Wednesday, 28 December 2011

A step in the right direction

I had an afternoon on my local upper Avon today, windy conditions but it remained dry at least. On arriving at the stretch three cars were in the car park so I decided on another stretch further downstream, again on arrival three more cars greeted me but as dog walkers are not uncommon here I thought I would give it a go. Luckily my chosen swim was free and I hadn't come across any other anglers either so maybe dog walkers were the car owners. I chose to fish two rods, a quiver rod on the far reed line with a small feeder crammed with liquidised bread and a large chunk of flake on the hook, the second rod would be a float with lobworm as bait, this was dropped tight in to the near bank in around 7 feet of water, this rod was hopefully going to throw me a Perch or two......
The wind made detecting bites on the quiver a difficult one so I hoped that if one materialised it would be an obvious one! This rod was recast every 10 minutes or so as my confidence with bread on the hook would not go any further! The float rod was dropped in and that I cut up a lob every 10 minutes again and sprayed the float with the wormy goodness, this rod again would be recast every 15-20 minutes to keep the hookbait on the move and it was after an hour that I had a quick bob on the float just after the bait had settled, this happened again after the next cast but this time the float buried. On striking the fish felt quite heavy and I was praying that a Pike wasn't the culprit but then the tell tale headshaking started and a Perchy fight commenced, it was then I saw the fish twisting a turning in the clear water at my feet and it looked a nice one. On the scales she went 2lb 3oz, a river PB for me and finally a decent Perch after a fair amount of trying for one.


I went straight back in with the float as there are usually more than one Perch about but no further bites were had. I did have a couple of tentative knocks on the tip towards dusk when the wind dropped but nothing I could strike at, I thought I may have had a Chub or two or even a Roach on the bread but not today. A step in the right direction on the Perch front as I had thought that there must be some big stripeys in the river somewhere, more to come hopefully......

2 comments:

  1. Lovely perch Danny . They are my favourite second only to chub. I have a plough AS card for the Warwickshire Avon but am yet to fish there yet.

    Tight lines

    Baz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice perch. Very encouraging as I intend to fish the W.Avon for stripeys

    ReplyDelete