Sunday, 18 September 2011

Wye oh why

A trip back down to the gorgeous Wye was on the cards again, I arrived at the stretch early afternoon to a fairly full car park, a quick chat to a couple of anglers told me that the fishing wasn't the best but the river was fining down after a midweek flush (that I was hoping to catch) and the last of the colour was dropping out fast.

I walked upstream and the first peg I fancied was taken so I continued up to the top limit to a great looking run of water. I placed a bait into the top faster run and then another bait lower down in the centre of the pool. After an hour without a touch and a few canoeists coming through the peg (plus two noddies who were intent on going UPstream through this very fast water without much luck) I moved back downstream.


I then had another hour in a slower deeper run but again no bites were forthcoming so I moved again......

By now the swim I fancied earlier on was vacant so I set up in there, I put my baits both over on the far bank, one under some overhanging willow and the other just above a run over willows, hoping that the fish were sat beneath.

The first bite came almost immediately on the upper rod and a Chub of about 2lb was landed, as I recast this rod the lower rod went over (why does this always happen) and after lifting into the fish it felt like a Barbel but it dropped off after around 5 seconds.....

Two hours later and with only a few taps on the tips I had to make a call, where to settle for dark and with me realising that I had left the headtorch in the car I moved everything down towards the car for the final effort.

This proved to be a bad move as my final peg didn't even give me a nod on the tips, mental note not to leave the head torch in the car again! I should have stayed in the peg and waited for dark but the cast over tight to the far side was a worry in the darkness.

It is a great place to be though and a few notes were made for the next trip which hopefully will be before the clocks move forward in 6 weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment